Thursday, December 10, 2015

The Best Things Are Free

So many children are being robbed of childhood today by spending time in front of the television, video games and tablets for hours daily.  Children no longer use their imagination to create, design, paint or build.  Many children have never gone fishing, hiking or camping to experience nature at its finest. 

As a child, I had the opportunity to play Jacks, jump rope, hopscotch, hoola hoop, marbles, spinning tops, skate and play ball games with other children as we joyfully interacted with each other, but today's children don't run and play because they sit and stare at their hand held  devices or at the big screen.  I am so sad for today's children because they live in a make believe world. 

It is the parents responsibility to teach the children to enjoy life.  The kids today know as much about grown up issues as their parents, because there is no censorship in the home.  I applaud the parents who take time with their children and take them to the park, museums, library and hold an interest in their children's school work.  Our mission should be to train our children and not leave it up to the teachers, television or videos.

Young mothers and fathers, I know that your lives are busy and filled with jobs, meal planning, sorting clothing, paying bills, the children's homework and the like, but the most important thing that you can give your child is yourself. Take the kids to a park or a pond and stay there for a while as you teach your child valuable lessons about life.  Spending time by a stream with trees and the sky overhead is a real de-stresser.  It will calm your nerves and theirs. The kids will learn about peace and quietness in the outdoors

This is the perfect backdrop to have sweet conversations about God.  It will benefit you and your children. I pray that you examine your lives and make needed adjustments and it is a free adventure.  Some of the best things on earth are free and God's creation is eye candy for the soul.  Give it to your children and be blessed.

Cynthia Brooks

5 comments:

  1. This piece paints a picture of wealth and health in families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. This reminds me of times when Edward and I would pack up the six kids - even their cousins - and take them to the park or to the zoo or to downtown Memphis and just walk and talk and reflect. To this day, they still remember those times. It doesn't take "stuff" to make a child's day, it takes a moment of your time to make memories that last forever...Train up a child....

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my children were young, I took the seven of them to the park for picnics (sandwiches, chips & drinks), down to the Cumberland River and I bought two tents and we would camp. When I went walking, they went with me and I would put my youngest in a stroller and all of these things became opportunities to talk, train and teach my children. Now I watch them do the same with their chikdren. It doesn't take a lot of money, but it will require your time, patience and love. I am so grateful for the experiences

    ReplyDelete